Banana and Coconut Cream Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 24 graham crackers)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups sliced bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup toasted coconut chips, for garnish
Watch how to make this recipe.
For the crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Brush a 9-inch pie plate with butter to grease.
In a medium bowl, stir to combine the melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, sugar and salt, then press into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie dish. Bake until lightly golden and crisp, 12 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack to cool completely.
For the pie: Whisk the granulated sugar and flour together in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Whisk in the milk, coconut milk, condensed milk, coconut extract and vanilla extract. Whisking occasionally, bring the mixture to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, then temper the egg yolks: carefully remove a cup of the hot milk mixture and whisk in the beaten eggs yolks. Add the yolk mixture to the milk and then add the butter. Remove from the heat and fold in the bananas, then transfer the pie filling to the cooled graham cracker crust.
Cover the pie with plastic wrap, placing the wrap directly onto the surface of the filling. Chill until completely set, at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
Whip the heavy cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form, then spoon the whipped cream over the chilled pie. Garnish with toasted coconut chips and slice to serve.